Monday, January 11, 2010

#2 in the Circles Series



So, I used found papers, wire, metal sewing embellishments, thread, lace, ribbon, buttons, pins, etc... to create this one. I decided that it would be neat to do a horizontal row of circles. So, after I used encaustic wax, covering each circle, it was time for the background. I layered the transparent brown paper from a sewing pattern about six times. I covered that in parafin wax and a small amount of white and yellow beeswax. I Then, I placed all of my circles, horizontally, across the background. My teacher suggested that I give the circles some kind of order since they were horizontal. But, we decided that using "A,B,C" to letter the circles or "1,2,3" to number the circles would look silly. So, I came up with another idea. If you look closely, there is a silhouette of a small, black sparrow in a different stage of flight in each circle. The bird starts walking and eventually flies away (going towards the left). Not only did the bird give the final product interest, but it gave each circle a focal point. If you click on the photo, you can see it even bigger. Just like in the last piece, a pretty good deal of detail went in to each circle. I really like how this one turned out. It might even be my favorite project this semester. How does it look?

2 comments:

  1. this looks great. i also love to do art in circles. but i love how your back ground ties it all together and really makes it complete

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the earth tones in this one. Look's very vintage.

    ReplyDelete