Monday, January 11, 2010

The FIRST in My Series of Circles


The task: 48 circles(there are 16 big circles,16 medium,16 small), each in different combinations of papers and embellishments, all coming together to create "my spin on Kandinsky." So, to complete this I needed a LOT of materials. A wide variety of found papers, buttons, pins, thread, wire, string, lace, ribbon, fabric and liquitex. This project is a 12x12in. and, believe me, it took what seemed like ages(about two weeks in class). I was very meticulous about cutting each circle with precision after I traced them. But, the bigger task was trying to come up with 16 different combinations of papers so that none of the circles looked alike. Another big challenge was laying the circles out so that some of the repeated papers were not close to one another. As I was in the process of creating this, I also decided that I wanted it to have a shiny finish, thus the liquitex. But, when I put the circles on the plain chocolate brown cardstock I encountered a minor problem... The mat looked WAYYY too simple compared to the very detailed circles. So I placed thread in the liquitex and I think that gave it a nice final touch. This is actually double-matted, which you cannot see from this photo. There is a light pink mat behind the brown one. I decided that pink would be an appropriate and flattering color. The pink mat complimented the pink in the circles. I really liked this project. One of my favorite so far. (:

1 comment:

  1. i love the vintage papers you chose to use in this piece, it looks great

    ReplyDelete