Monday, January 11, 2010

My Inspiration for "The Circle Series"






So, as you may know, I have recently started to create a small series (so far there are only two, but I'm working on that). I use different found papers and a variety of other materials to create perfect, geometric circles. But, believe it or not, the idea of layering circles was not all that original. Wassily Kandinsky ( 1896 - 1944) is the artist of the paintings above. When I first saw the painting (the one on the very top), I commented that it looked like a seven-year-old could do it. But, upon further investigation, I discovered that the painting was not famous because of Kandinsky's ability to paint a perfectly round circle (obviously). It became famous because of his brilliant use of complimentary colors. Notice that all of the colors in the painting play off of one another, creating harmony. He also combined different thickness of lines, and created contrast and variety by placing straight lines next to circles. Kandinsky had an ever-changing style. In his younger years his paintings were very realistic, resembling Monet(INSPIRATION). In later years, his focus seemed to be very architecturally based. Some of these works resembled the style of Van Gogh or George Seurat (pointillism)(& INSPIRATION). Some of the later work was based on really abstract architecture. It could be compared to the shapes that Dr.Suess uses (INSPIRATION). It also resembled the artist that came to our class and presented "The Traveling Man."(INSPIRATION) Finally, Kandinsky created several pieces that used symmetry and geometry.

And then there is me... Abby. I have taken Kandinsky's art and made it my very own. Just like Kandinsky's pieces resemble those of other famous artists and techniques, my pieces resemble his. I took the concept of layering circles and using complimentary colors and I decided to take my own spin on Kandinsky. So, there you have it folks, it's okay to be inspired. Kandinsky proved that to me. (:

1 comment: