Wednesday, March 16, 2011

'Ma' Inspired by Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck




I really like the results of my first use of resin on top of my mixed media piece. I was using vintage laces as well as threads and even an old brooch and I really wanted to capture and compliment the texture of these objects and materials. I wanted to try an alternative to encaustic and I really like the results. I have to say, this is probably one of my favorites so far. I will use this as a concentration piece. I also chose to use resin rather than encaustic because the encaustic technique tends to cover up a lot of the texture in lace and fabrics. Rather than cover it up, I wanted to accentuate the fabrics, as they represented Ma, the inspiration for this piece.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the way this piece came out! the resin brings everything together, and since I've read the book I can honestly say that this show's Ma's character :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used resin on this piece, I think this turned out great and i would like to mention that i love how we worked this piece's problems out together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abigail,
    This is my favorite concentration piece you've done so far. This definitely needs to go in quality. I think the resin was very successful and it helps unify all of the found objects. I like all of the details and of course the green :) Good job bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree-- definitely a quality piece.

    ReplyDelete