Sunday, January 2, 2011

Quill Me Now




This is my first quilling piece. It took me so long that I'm not sure if there will be another quilling piece. Let me put it into perspective: The quilled square is about 4 inches by 4 inches. There are approximately 40 quills per square inch. Each quill takes roughly two minutes to make. So, do the math- thats a LONG time. Quilling is a technique that I have been researching for a while and I finally decided to try it. Basically, using a quilling tool, you wrap a thin piece of paper around the quilling tool to make a coil. After this step, you can choose to release the coil as much or as little as you choose. I didn't release the coils at all, so they are very tightly wound. Once you have reached the end of the paper strip, just seal the coil with adhesive (I used Elmers). To get a perfect square shape, I made a square matboard template and placed and glued the coils inside. After I was finished, I removed the template. I really like the finished product. But, as you can see by its title, 'Quill Me Now', it was really tedious and I'm not sure that I would duplicate this willingly.

7 comments:

  1. Abby I know you spent HOURS on this haha and you should be very very proud! It looks great! I love all the texture that you got from all the little paper rolls (its very unique and very abby-like), and the title is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this piece shows the patience that you have. This is great craftsmanship, i love that you kept with this and i love the colors used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Becca, this peice really shows your patience. I love the colors, and i love the way you photographed it! I think the quilling idea is really new and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best Frann,
    I love this piece almost as much as I love you. I know how long it took you and how frustrating it could be at times. I think all your hard work paid off and this is a great piece. I think quilling would be great for you to experiment with in the future, (when time permits). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed by your resolve too- knowing how long it took you, I'm not sure I wouldn't have just quit. Very impressive. I agree with Meridith- the title is adorable. As for the piece itself,it shows excellent craftsmanship and is very interesting to look at- as in, one could stare at it for a long time and not get bored. It's amazing, Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this was probably the hardest piece ever to make I'm guessing. I know it took you a really long time but it was definitely worth it because it really looks great. I like how you added variety into the paper rolls, it really adds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks unbelievable. Truely amazing! This is yet ANOTHER one of your pieces that I would definately steal. How are you just so amazing??

    ReplyDelete