Monday, July 12, 2010

AP Summer Project #3: Inside of a Closet




Summer Piece #3: The Inside of the Closet. Like my second summer piece, this is not an obvious "closet." Instead, I thought of the inside of a closet. Things like clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc.(fashion) came to mind. Instead of focusing on the closet itself, I focused on it's contents. I used wax, pins, found papers, embroidery thread, thread, lace, and an antique button to create this. The lady in the center image is admiring her own shoes. I thought that she looked very "Flapper-esque", in turn she appeared to be very stylish. I also used the antique embellishment in the bottom-left corner. I thought that the colors in the button brought out the colors in the found papers. I experimented with a new technique (I couldn't really capture this with the camera) in which I ironed a piece of lace onto the center and peeled it off after it had dried. It created a texture that was more or less a relief of the lace. It turned out pretty neat. I have recently noticed that I enjoy playing with horizontal and vertical lines in my pieces. The lines are usually different lengths or widths, creating variety...This could possibly evolve into a minor concentration??? Apart from that, I couldn't decide if I liked the silver wax matting behind the image or not. I tried photographing it with and without the mat. Opinions? I think that I like it, but I am not completely convinced. I thought that it would be interesting to experiment with using the metallic mat to enhance the metallic details in the piece itself. Overall, I would say that I am slightly disappointed in this. It isn't horrible, I just had a completely different image in my head. I think that I really like the prompt, but I wish that I could have done a better job carrying out my plan. I definitely think that I will come back to this prompt at a later date.

2 comments:

  1. Abby,
    That's an awesome reflection. You did a great job of creating a sense of unity with a variety of elements. Nice job presenting the work too.

    I'm glad that you experimented. Was the result more of an embossing? Regardless, experimenting and coming up with a "pretty neat" outcome is always good. See if you can develop this.

    As far as the vertical and horizontal lines go, we call these supportive elements. As these elements will always help to emphasize the most important elements, it would be difficult for me to see this develop into a concentration.

    Again, great job with getting the post in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it WITH the silver matting-- by the way.

    ReplyDelete